14.2.06

SoCal in 20 Minutes or Less


Los Angeles, California
Originally uploaded by Zakcq.
So blogging from the hostel didn't really happen. The wireless was really crappy (and non-existant for about 2 days). Long Beach airport rocks though. Go JetBlue!

J did manage to blog quickly before she left from LAX last night. I guess there were strong headwinds over the pacific, so the plane was going to have to make an unscheduled stop in Korea to refuel, which I think means she's still in the air somewhere. Her flight was supposed to be Hong Kong and then on to Saigon.

We stayed three days in LA with a day trip to San Diego and Tijauna. Out of the three cities, I probably liked SD the best, then Tijuana and then LA. I was realizing that both SD and LA reminded me of Minneapolis, but in very different ways. It was like SD is the best of Mpls and LA is the worst.

SD had great transit, really viberant downtown neighborhoods and tons of great non-corporate resturants and bars. LA has endless fields of single family housing, parking lots and blocks that go on for miles with twelve lane residential streets between them.

I did have fun sightseeing in LA though, in fact, there are still some museums that we didn't get to that I'd come back for. Next time though I think I'd stay in San Diego and day trip to LA.

Here's my LA top 3:
1. The Cathedral of Our Lady of Angles: This is the newest catholic cathedral in the country and it is absolutly beautiful. The grounds are amazing, building is beautiful and the art is fantastic.

2. Barrio de Los Angeles (Oliveria Street): the only nice place to walk (that I found anyways) in the city.

3. Union Station: Beautiful grand train station. It's got a mix of Spanish Mission and Art Deco architecture and decor. It was the last of the big American train stations built (along with Penn Station in New York and Union Station in DC).

My flight is boarding now, so I must go. I'll finish uploading pictures and maybe write some more later.

1 comments:

onetenchelsea 8:46 PM  

Yeah, My only real problem with it was that it felt very elite. I've heard people say that about Portland too. It feels a little like disneyland urbanism, you know? It's just a little too clean. I think I like a little bit of garbage and graffiti. I think that's why the older american cities (boston, new york, chicago) are my favorites in the country. I still really want to spend some time in Philly, Montreal and Toronto. And I haven't been to Seattle or Portland yet. I have a bunch of JetBlue points now, so maybe I'll get a free flight soon.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP