9.8.05

Boring Weeks

I haven't had much to write about lately. The last two weeks have been incredibly boring. I honestly feel as though I don't go anywhere except home and work. I have been watching some good TV (on DVD) lately that I'd like to recommend though. Apparently the world isn't ready for for postmodern-canadian television, because these all got cancelled pretty quick, but I liked them. If you are into Scrubs or Arrested Development, you'll probably like them too.

1. DEAD LIKE ME

Dead Like Me


-This one is from Showtime. It made it for two whole seasons! It's set in Seattle (actually Vancouver). It's about an 18 year old girl who is killed by debris from a falling space station and then becomes a grim reaper. Sample Dialog:

-I never rush. I see someone running and I assume they're a loser
-unless they're a runner.
-yeah, even then. especially then.

2. WONDERFALLS

Wonderfalls


This one aired four whole episodes on Fox before they cancelled it. The DVD's have all of the other episodes that they recorded before they were cancelled (16 in all I think). It's about a girl with an ivy league philosophy degree who works retail in Niagra Falls, NY (actually Ontario). She has some kind of fainting spell after which inanimate objects with faces start telling her to do things. Like the one above, it's got a great sarcastic sense of humour.

3. FREAKS AND GEEKS

Freaks and Geeks


Freaks and Geeks was on NBC for a year back in 1999-2000. It's set in the early 80's in suburban Michigan (actually Windsor, OT). It's about the most brutally honest high school show I think I've ever seen. Unlike most TV shows, it features unattractive people in leading roles doing embarrasing things. It hurts to watch some times, but is really increadable. It's unfortunate that they didn't keep making them.

Here's too a less boring week.

oh, and while I'm recommending stuff, the last book I read, The Fate of Africa: best one volume history of Africa I've ever read. It's a little intimidating at 700 pages, but really worth it if you are interested in that part of the world. I was a bit worried at first, as the author and I seemed to have different opinions of at least two of Africa's founding fathers (Nkrumah and Lumumba) and he seems a pretty big fan of Houphouët-Boigny, but he manages to stay pretty balanced overall.

6 comments:

Jerry Plagge, Jr. 1:51 PM  

I have a solution to your boredom (sp?), have some kids. Never a dull moment and you never have any time for yourself except between 9pm and 6am. And, that is assuming you are past the "newborn" stage were they are sleeping through most of the night.

BTW, I'm not whining... my kids make me laugh my arse of each day and I am constantly amazed by them each day also.

Ciao!

onetenchelsea 2:07 PM  

ha! i've got at least two degrees to finish before i'll be having any. We're only 23 after all.

onetenchelsea 2:22 PM  

i should clarify, part of the reason that i do nothing lately is that I've been working a ton of opens (4:45-12:45) which means i'm about ready for bed at about 8. Luckily, I only live a 10 minute walk away from work, because if there was a long commute on top of that time, I think i'd be ready to shoot myself.

Jerry Plagge, Jr. 4:07 PM  

Zakcq...

please go to my blog and find my email address. Send me your email so we can take some things offline.

Check this out:
http://givenew.blogspot.com/2005/07/seeing.html

Chris Dugan 12:16 PM  

"Freaks and Geeks" does indeed rule.

I can relate to, on some level, nearly every single thing that happens on that show.

onetenchelsea 6:07 PM  

yeah, totally.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP