19.9.06

Bangkok, Thailand
I find it completely bizarre that a country that I was in three months ago had a military coup today. It's really strange to think that we easily could have been there today. Thailand was the country that we liked the least out of the ones that we visited for a lot of reasons. The tourists were overwhelmingly disrepectful of Thai culture, for one, and the city was sprawled like a bad version of Los Angeles, but what made me the most uncomfortable was the complete omnipresence of the military. It's easily the most militarized society I've ever been in. All of which probably sounds really weird considering Thailand is/was a "democracy" and the rest of the countries surrounding it are dictatorships. I don't know that I really have a point here. I just found it weird.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP