25.9.07

Toronto, Ontario

J and I are just back from TO.

We really liked it there... but then we stopped in Montréal for a day on our way back, so now I'm basically forcing myself to go back and justify why I liked it.

So, here are things I really liked about Toronto:

1. Streetcars. I really like subways, but having quiet, roomy streetcars running above ground is really awesome. I love being able to watch the city go by.

2. People. TO is all about the hipster (in a good way). People seem very political and activism driven. Just in the days we were there, there were protests for Native Treaty Rights and for a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in housing illegal immigrants. The demographics were really interesting. It seemed to be about 50% Asian.

3. Food.

4. Neighborhoods. TO has a lot of great neighborhoods. The Annex was very cool. Kensington Market was unlike anything I've ever seen in the first world (it reminded me a little of the neighborhoods in Berlin that had been taken over by Anarchists. The Islands were also really cool.

Anyways. In a lot of ways it reminded my of a really nice Minneapolis. You get a major sense that the whole city is in a major state of change right now. It'd be an interesting place to live.

Toronto, Ontario

Toronto, Ontario

Toronto, Ontario

Toronto, Ontario

Toronto, Ontario

We also stopped at Niagara:

Niagara, Ontario/New York

And in Montréal:

Montréal, Québec

Montréal, Québec

And J got her nose pierced!

Toronto, Ontario

1 comments:

John Goering 2:23 AM  

That nose ring looks awesome on Jessica.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP